Hello, my name is Neil Clay. As the Principal at Forest View Elementary School I'm often asked to describe what makes this school special.
I see Forest View as a community—a vibrant, diverse community of students, educators, families and staff. We have students and families from more than 25 different countries, making our student body reflective of the melting pot that is America and the realities of our global economy. Our teachers bring an enthusiasm for learning and care deeply about each child's progress. And our staff works hard everyday to nurture and grow this community by supporting our teachers and students in learning and involving our families in collaborative decision-making.
This community approach to learning has created a school where:
• All students, families and friends feel welcomed and diversity is embraced.
• Our students are challenged with a curriculum that is rigorous, relevant and differentiated; and learning occurs inside and outside of the classroom.
• We blend traditional classroom learning with information technology to create a climate of high expectations for all students.
• We view our families as stakeholders in student learning. We value their opinions and welcome their volunteer efforts.
• We support our teachers inside the classroom and outside it as they grow in their profession.
• And the community extends beyond the school grounds as Forest View's long-term partnerships with the areas universities, cultural institutions and business further enrich student learning.
We believe Forest View is a special place of learning for all children and we welcome you to join our community and build upon our vision together.
If you would like a tour of the school or to speak with some of the families at Forest View please call us at 919-560-3932 for more information.
Forest View Elementary School has received widespread acclaim and become a national model for its school-wide Positive Behavioral System which encourages respect for self and others and self-control. As a result, our teachers are able to teach and our students are able to learn in an atmosphere that fosters personal responsibility and self-esteem.
Forest View has a unique color-coded discipline system to help our students remember to do the right things. By setting clear expectations for classroom and school-wide discipline, Forest View maintains an atmosphere ripe for learning.
The system also provides positive reinforcement as children can earn their way back into good standing by going above and beyond. And when a child consistently exceeds expectations they are awarded a certificate and given school-wide recognition.
If a teacher or staff member “catches” a student performing in an exemplary manner the student is awarded a Purple Falcon certificate and their photograph is displayed in the school’s main lobby.
If a child receives four Purple Falcons in a single area then they receive
a Blue Falcon and an invitation to the biannual Blue Falcon Breakfast.